WHAT IS GROOVE AWARDS?
Groove Awards is the annual awards ceremony held annually in Kenya (and now in Rwanda) that seeks to promote, expose and celebrate Gospel talent in Kenya and East Africa. Groove Awards honours outstanding excellence in the Gospel Music Industry across areas of songwriting, performance, audio-visual production and media. Founded in 2004, Groove Awards has honored over 600 artists and groups and handed out hundreds of statuettes.
WHAT IS THE THEME FOR THE 2017 GROOVE AWARDS?
The 2017 Groove Awards theme is TUNAWEZA, with the tagline “One Kenya – One Voice”. Tunaweza is a bold reminder to our nation that, in a year such as this, an election year, the destiny of our nation is in our hands. If we stay united, and refuse to be divided along ethnic, political and economic lines, we can accomplish great things.
Tunaweza is about telling Kenya that even though we have different opinions and different political leanings, if we decide to, we can do anything…TUNAWEZA! The theme will be rolled out during our upcoming Groove Tours.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE FULL LIST OF 2017 NOMINEES?
The complete list of nominees is now available HERE.
HOW ARE THE WINNERS SELECTED?
Being predominantly a people’s choice awards, public voting is in place. Nominees are presented to the public, who are then invited to vote for their preferred nominee via platforms such as SMS, USSD and online voting. At the close of the voting period, votes are weighted between the various platforms and nominating panel, and winners thereafter announced.
HOW DO I VOTE FOR MY FAVOURITE ARTIST?
There are a number of ways to vote
* One, log on to www.grooveawards.co.ke and click not he VOTE NOW button and thereafter select your favourite nominees.
* Two, SMS the Word “GROOVE” then space followed by the NOMINEE CODE to 811 (nominee codes are available HERE)
* Three, dial *811# and follow the prompts
Voting starts on the 2nd of May 2017 and ends at midnight on the 31st of May 2017.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I VOTE?
Via the online platform, each number or email can vote no more than once in every 24 hour cycle.
Via the SMS and USSD platforms, each unique number is allowed one vote per per number within a 24 hour cycle.
Please note that only unique numbers/votes are tabulated.
HOW ARE THE NOMINEES SELECTED?
The unveiling of the nominees follows an intensive one-month exercise that involved the participation of 130 Groove Academy members across the country. The academy members are comprised of industry experts in the fields of radio and television, audio and video producers as well as DJs and VJs, all of whom have a good grasp of the popular music and artists. They are invited to send in their preferred six nominees in each category.
In addition, members of the public are invited to submit their own works, which are then compared against the academy list. A provisional list is then compiled and sent to the Groove Awards Panel. This is a panel that of industry stakeholders who compile the top six in each category, and thereafter compare them against the key criteria in each category to ensure they are eligible.
Once that is complete, they present the Academy’s choice to the public for voting purposes.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SURE THE NOMINATION AND VOTING PROCESSES ARE SOUND?
Groove Awards is committed to the highest standards of integrity, transparency and equity. We ensure that our voting platforms are secured with multiple levels of encryption, which are upgraded with each passing year.
In addition, Groove engages the services of one of the world’s largest multinational professional services firm, Ernst & Young, that proves both advisory services as well as a thorough system audit.
WHAT IS THE CRITERIA FOR NOMINATION?
1. The music must be positive Gospel music
2. The music must be of good sound quality
3. The music must be commercially released in Kenya within the Eligibility period; January 1st 2016 to March 31st 2017 through recognised distribution channels.
The term “Commercially Released” means that the music in question is available to consume or purchase, and released through any of the following mediums:
* Public music launch
* Other digital media platforms
* Broadcast through mass media TV or Radio
4. The artist must espouse Christian character.
In addition, each category has specific criteria that determines eligibility, and these can be found HERE.
WHAT CATEGORIES ARE NOT UP FOR PUBLIC VOTING?
Categories not up for public voting include:
* Quality control categories – Video Producer, Audio Producer, Outstanding contributor to the Industry,
* Dance Group of the Year – Here dance groups are invited to send Groove a short video of a recorded performance, and this is placed on our website for voting.
* Skiza Ringback Tone Category – Awarded to the song that receives the highest number of downloads during the Groove Awards season
WHERE AND WHEN DOES THE GROOVE AWARDS TAKE PLACE?
Groove Awards will take place at an invite-only black-tie event at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre on the 1st of June 2017.
You may also like ...
Comments are closed.